This was a busy week, so I didn’t spend much time in the kitchen. My toddler and husband have been sick, the baby is teething, and no one has been sleeping well. The weather has gone from suffocatingly hot to uncomfortably cool, we’re closing on the sale of our Toronto property, and planning for a wedding this weekend. I feel like I’m caught up in a whirlwind.
Needless to say, most meals were prepared in a rush. We still ate well because, during weeks like this, the only thing that really keeps me calm and grounded is knowing there’s a good meal up ahead.
1. Pizza! I think I’m finally mastering the art of at-home-pizza-without-a-wood-fired-oven. I don’t even have a pizza stone, but the whole-wheat crust recipe I use is awesome, I keep it thin, and bake it super hot. Current favourite toppings are caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, marinated eggplant, and chorizo.
2. Shrimp tacos. I’d never made these before, but they were so fast and delicious that I’ll certainly be doing them again. They’re just sautéed shrimp with spices, wrapped in a flour tortilla with cabbage, cilantro, and a sour cream spread.
3. Open-face steak sandwiches with caramelized onions on top. Quite yummy, though the flank steak I used was a bit on the chewy side. Eating turned into a bit of a battle, especially because we had a guest and I was more self-conscious of having onions and steak pieces hanging rather unelegantly out of my mouth. Whatever 🙂
4. Grilled sausages, salad – nice and simple. We had a peaceful adults-only dinner on the patio after our sick children went to bed early. Then we lit a fire in the outdoor fireplace, poured some wine, and talked for hours. It was pretty close to perfection.
5. Honey-curry baked chicken, basmati, asparagus. This is absolutely the easiest, most delicious chicken recipe in the world. It’s actually been my favourite since I was a little girl. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare, then it bakes for an hour.
6. Pan-fried salmon with vinaigrette topping, brown rice, more asparagus. The fish took forever to cook. In the future, I’ll let it warm to room temperature first.
7. Vegetarian mixed bean chili with garlic bread and strawberry shortcake for dessert. This just reminded me of how much I love beans. I need to eat more of them.